I did work on my altered cups some more and practiced some slip trailing and stenciling. I am having so much fun with this. And it is my reward for working on my sculptures. Besides, if I want to fire my cone 6 sculptures I might as well have some other fun things to fill the kiln with. Especially since I am trying to learn how to work with and fire this clay.
Cone 6 Porcelain sculpture. Not really sure how I am liking this clay. It really has a lot of talc in it which I am not used to and so attaching these pieces was a lot different than the other clays I have been working with. I'd like to get some other cone 6 porcelains for comparison. I have a couple more smaller sculptures but I think I will wait to see how they dry before I make anymore. I am a little worried about them cracking at the seams. I have made these forms with cone 10 English porcelain which I usually dry pretty slow to avoid and cracking but sometimes they do anyway.
I met with my BFA advisor, Sue Whitmore, the other day and she suggested that I might try cutting open my forms and exploring the interior space. This was a mini piece, only about 5 inches and I wasn't excited with the form so I decided to sacrifice it to the experiment. Pretty interesting to see what goes on inside one of these pieces. This idea would also lend itself well to the coccoon/chrysalis ideas floating through my head. I think I will explore this more but with a more forgiving and plastic clay.