Thursday, February 23, 2012

A Chapter Closes

I am really not one to ruminate on the stressful things of life even when my current circumstances take up a large percentage of my waking thoughts.  The last three years I have been to hell and back and would be remiss if I did not express how grateful I am that I not only came out of it alive and with my sanity intact but with a greater sense of peace and a deeper understanding of myself and my capabilities.  Making it through has taken a lot of faith, prayer, meditation, and introspection.  I couldn't have made it through without the support of my family, friends, professors, counselors, and my faith.  Oh, and a LOT of dark chocolate!

Three years ago my son was hit by a car while crossing the street to the university on his way to a ballroom dance class.   What followed was a fractured tibia and fibula and four surgeries later to get his leg back to some semblance of normal but with chronic pain.  That was the easy part.  The harder part was the smack to his head that resulted in a moderately traumatic brain injury.  I have resisted mentioning any of this on my blog for numerous reasons including legal and privacy.  But with legal resolutions comes a deep sigh of relief.  One journey is over.  Now another one of continued physical and mental healing for everyone can commence.  The journey is far from over but now we can all focus on more positive aspects of our lives.

As if that event had not been enough, ensuing difficulties in my marriage led to a separation four months after my son's accident and an eventual divorce.  While this was extremely difficult it was necessary for my continued growth as a person and an artist.

So when I look in the mirror every morning and it seems like new patches of grey hair are sprouting exponentially, I can say, " I have earned every one of these grey hairs."

Throughout all of this my crazy, bottle fed as a baby, now twelve year old, cat has been a source of humor and comfort.

I iz writing down your life story.

You put this down here for me, right?


On a much, much lighter note, it was 74 degrees in my yard yesterday!  If that is not crazy I don't know what is.  I took advantage to enjoy the weather and did some clay reclaiming and raked some leftover fall leaves off the lawn.  That's it for now.  Peace out, I am off to go play with some clay and prep my mind for some new adventures!

3 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Hugs to you, I hope your son continues to heal; good for you for continuing to grow. Your cat is so cute, I have three and they have helped me immensely through many trials and tribulations.

Linda Fahey said...

kelly, as one with a lot of grey hair, I say congratulations...for making it through the fire!! everything will feel easier from here on out I think.

much luck to you in in your new chapter - I look forward to seeing where it leads for you!

Tracey Broome said...

I've been going through some crazy stuff since Christmas, but you put a lot into perspective, my worries seem so small compared to what you have been through! Best wishes for you that you will have a better year!