Monday, July 26, 2010

Back in the saddle...I think?

I finally made it home after a month of Summer Arts at Fresno State.  A kagillion things have happened and I have barely had time to think about other things much less to blog about it all.  My brain is still buzzing with new information.  What to do with it all?!


The last two weeks in Fresno were spent in a class called Building Reactive Sculpture.  We had the amazing guest artist, Trimpin, teaching us all about activating sculptures using musical instruments and found and recycled objects.  We took a field trip to the local junk yard and thrift stores. We also used solenoids and motors and everything was hooked up to the "brain," a mess of midi cables and circuitry all leading to a master keyboard.  At our conclusion, Trimpin, directed our improvisational performance.  We all had a great time and were sad to see him leave.

I learned a lot of great things in this class, including soldering, welding and working with arduino.  I am looking forward to putting all of this to more good use in my sculpture class in the fall.  Wait, that is only a few short weeks from now!

Now I am busy teaching a group of kids at summer art academy for a week.  Today was the first day.  So far, so great.  I think the students are really interested in my photo litho class.  I gave them a short intro today and tomorrow we dive in.  I'm planning to post a bunch of photos to my flickr page as time permits, maybe after this week is over.  Phew, lots of fun!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That looks like he was a VERY interesting teacher. I'm so glad you were able to have that experience. Good luck with the class.