Thursday, May 13, 2010

Summer break is almost here!  I met with my BFA adviser yesterday and had ceramics critiques.  Today I have my printmaking critique and I am really excited to hear what everyone has to say about my final project.  I will post some pictures of my prints after everything is graded.  In the meantime, I finally took photos of my latest pottery pieces.  These are made from cone 6 porcelain from IMCO.  I am enjoying the graphic qualities of these pieces and can't wait to work on some more sculptures in a similar theme.



I made a number of different shaped mugs in an effort to come up with some new designs.  I don't think I'm nearly done working on shape but I think this one might end up in my cupboard.  This one is shorter and a little wide and I really like the balance and the way it feels in my hand.  I don't think I truly appreciated what  goes into a mug design.

I am really trying to break out of some clay making ruts that I have been in for a long time.  Just playing around and altering the rim here is a good first step in the right direction.  I would like to venture into some non round forms and see if I can't get my brain out of the entrenched wheel throwing mode.  Throwing on the wheel was my first love and I fall back into it for relaxation, when I'm stressed or when I can't think of what else I want to do.  Quick, someone put a lock on that wheel.  I'm headed to the mold room and the slab roller.  We'll see what fun stuff I turn out next.

I'm looking forward to the studio time this summer.  It won't be crowded with students and I should have more space to spread out for a little while.  I will also be attending summer arts at CSU Fresno where there will be some awesome ceramics instructors and some intense work getting done.  I can't wait!

I haven't decided if this is an amoeba shape or a sea creature but i love the way it flows around the mug.  I am going to continue working with this shape.  I have already incorporated it into my print work and now I want to bring the print work into my ceramics by combining print with sculpture so that the two relate to each other.  My instructors have led me down some good thought paths about the direction my work my take so my brain is all a buzz with ideas.  It is going to take some focus to narrow down the ideas and maybe make some small pieces to work out the concepts.  Have a good day everyone and you can see these pieces in my Etsy shop.  I will be listing more every day so keep checking back with the shop.

No comments: