Monday, April 18, 2011

NCECA 2011

Susan Beiner

I finally got my BFA show installed and it opened today.  Big sigh of relief!  It looks great and I will have some images soon.  Now I can take the time to catch up on work for my other classes.  That is if I can resist finally looking through all of my NCECA photos.  NCECA stands for National Council on Education for the Ceramic Arts.  Every year there is a huge convention and this is the first time I have ever been in all the years I have been involved with clay.  Phew, what a whirlwind!  I had a great time looking at all the work.  It is just incredible to see it in person.  I love the work of Susan Beiner.  The juicy, colorful glazes, texture and use of mixed media really draw me in.  I could spend a lot of time getting lost in her pieces.




David S. Smith

I have started working with cone 10 and cone 6 porcelain and exploring the translucent qualities.  I was excited to see Poison Ball, by David Scott Smith.  This is made from cone 6 translucent porcelain.  His pieces are really great in a darker environment but the detail even in the bright gallery was intense. 

Now it is back to cracking the whip.  There are only five weeks left in the semester and I want to get as much out of it as I can!

No comments: