Friday, November 12, 2010

Tiles Inspired by Jenny Mendes

Last spring ceramic artist, Jenny Mendes, came and spent a month at Chico State to prepare a body of work.  She graciously shared her knowledge and let me sneak (hehe) into her work space to pester her.  Just kidding.  I really enjoyed getting to talk with Jenny and getting to know about her and her work.  These tiles were inspired by Jenny's work.  I started them just before she left in April and I just now got around to taking pictures of them.




I'm thinking of trying some more things out with this terra sig work.  I made these tiles on some recycled clay which was NOT a good idea.  It seems like the sig wants to jump right of the edges if I even look at the tiles.  I did throw some platters out of some earthenware and have started applying some imagery to those.  I am quite interested in making some more tiles.  The problem is just to figure out how, when or if it can even fit into my schedule.

Trying out different configurations.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the work of Jenny Mendez. I finally broke down and bought a miniature mask a couple months ago and I love it. I bet it was awesome getting to learn from her. Plus, you tiles look fantastic. :)

Anonymous said...

I love your pictures and your posts Kelly!! You have learned so well and done so much with your knowledge. I especially love the utube video. You make it looks SO easy!! LOL